- 25+ years of double-digit success in consumer, business-to-business, and non-profit direct response.
- Specializing in financial, real estate, magazine acquisition & renewal, consumer goods/services, not-for-profit
- Nationally-known strategist, creative director, writer and producer of print and online sales materials.
Expertise includes complex strategic planning, direct B2B and B2C sales (online, print, telemarketing scripts, web videos, multi-channel), start-ups and new-product launch, team management, customer relations and retention as well as identification and development of new profit streams.
- Developed concept and copy (print and online) for re-launch of The Nation Magazine's Associates Program into The Nation Builders, including the best-performing email ever used by The Nation with a nearly 30% open rate.
- Doubled subscribers in 3 months to a trading advisory service by developing a new product and offer.
- Doubled sales of online financial newsletter product with new concept and new copy.
- Achieved 700% ROI on 2013 annual appeal/membership drive for not-for-profit animal rescue (pro bono)
- Founded and managed the nation’s largest wine competition production company, developing and launching 4 competitions in four years; went from zero to over $300,000 in revenues in 3 years. Developed all marketing and creative for integrated marketing campaigns, achieving a 12% response, Acted as Managing Director (CEO) including all financials.
- Concepted and wrote best-ever acquisition sales letter/landing page for Black Swan Capital (Forex).
- As senior writer/creative director, I conceptualized, wrote and directed creative development of Windsor Vineyards mailings that doubled and tripled previous response rates, including several mailings that pulled over 5%.
- Conceptualized, wrote and directed creative on new control package for Montgomery Ward "Birthday Life" insurance that significantly lowered acquisition costs and was never beaten.
- Conceptualized, wrote and directed launch creative on first-ever Home Equity Loan control package for Chase Manhattan Bank. Also launched first ATM card product for First Chicago.
- Conceptualized, wrote and directed creative on successful launch of Sears Discover Card (1985). Direct mail package pulled over 21% and beat all other test mailing response rates by almost 50%. The package was never beaten but was retired as branding evolved over time.
- 20+ years of experience managing graphic designers, copywriters, and production.
- Managed 3 direct reports and 40 temporary staff at Wine Competition Management
- Managed 1 direct report at Lea Pierce, Wordsmith.
M.A., Journalism, University of Illinois, Springfield, IL, with leadership honors.
B.S., Philosophy, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL, with academic and leadership honors.
Lea Pierce Direct Marketing Lansing, MI/Santa Rosa, CA
Strategy, concepts, copy, and creative direction of successful direct
response print/online for America's superstar companies.
Windsor Vineyards Windsor, CA
Senior Writer/Creative Director
Responsible for concepts, creative direction, production supervision for all
direct mail for America’s largest and oldest 100% direct-to-consumer winery.
Lea Pierce, Wordsmith Chicago, IL/Santa Rosa, CA
Concepts/creative direction and full production of direct marketing print for
national client base (see client list, attached).
Performance Direct Marketing Northfield, IL
Co-Founder, VP Creative Director - Direct Response Agency.
Launched home security product for Indiana Bell Telephone.
Lerner-Scott Corporation Wilmette, IL
Senior Advertising Copywriter - Direct Response Agency
Winning Discover Card launch package (21%+ response rate)
The Bradford Exchange Niles, IL
Advertising Copywriter - Direct Response Collectibles
Multiple CADM Tempo awards for concepts/copy/creative.
Scott, Foresman & Company Glenview, IL
Junior Advertising Copywriter - College Text Books.